As a gospel renewed community we are committed to seeing physical, social and spiritual renewal deepen in various communities in Austin. Over time we have observed the role that employment and economics plays in contributing to homelessness and the trapping of men and women in it. Combining our call to renewal and seeing some of the causes of homelessness has led us to form the Rework Project.
What is the Rework Project?
Rework Project is a city-wide community response that is about work itself and rethinking work for those experiencing homelessness. It is a relationally driven response. We can't always give money and jobs to everyone, but we can offer healthy relationships with dignity and respect. It is informed by the belief that everyone has some talent, but not everyone has opportunity. We want to be distributers of opportunity.
Some things we have learned:
- Unemployment often causes feelings of depression, anger, anxiety, fear and loneliness. It attacks us and speaks lies of worthlessness.
- Many people who are experiencing homelessness want to work. They just need opportunity and encouragement.
There are several components of the Rework Project:
- Workshop: We have a 2200 sq ft warehouse in South Austin that we are building out with a woodshop and sewing/crafts space for men and women to be able to build, repurpose and constuct products to sell in our retail space and at area community events.
- Retail: This is where we will sell products that men and women make. Proceeds from these products go directly back to the person who made it.
- Job Search & Training: We have computers available for job searching, help with resumes and general job search training.
- New Businesses & Job Creation: We will work to create new businesses that provide living wage jobs for men and women who are experiencing homelessness.
Rework Project is located at 4201 S. Congress #303, Austin, TX 78745. If you would like to donate to the project, or get more information please visit their website.