Austin Disaster Relief Network
New City Church is proud to partner with Greater Austin churches and the Austin Disaster Relief Network to provide for the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of people affected by disaster.
The Austin Disaster Relief Network is comprised of church, ministry, and business leaders within the Christian community in the Greater Austin area whose vision is to serve Christ by establishing a network to meet the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of those affected by disaster. ADRN will accomplish this vision by building a communication infrastructure in Greater Austin that will enable and empower the body of Christ to organize, mobilize, connect, and respond quickly in the event of a disaster, great or small.
First Wave Response to Disasters
The ADRN will join government agencies and the Red Cross in coordinating and managing shelters for people affected by disasters. The first wave will last 3-5 days when school shelters will need to resumse normal operations.
Second Wave Response to Disasters
The second wave response begins as first wave shelters close. In the second wave, ADRN, in partnership with the Red Cross, will coordinate and manage intermediate and long term care through shelters, family sponsorships and follow up care.
New City Church's Role
- Sponsoring Families: All participating churches, large and small, will serve by sponsoring families displaced by disaster. This includes providing food, clothes, furniture and other essentials along with shelter (renting a hotel rooms possibly).
- In Shelters: In addition to sponsoring families, we will serve in shelters (First wave and second wave) as shelter managers, shelter staff, call center volunteers, providing child care, special needs care, food preparation, transportation and much more.
- Neighborhood Watch Coordinators: All volunteers will serve as neighborhood watch coordinators who will watch for the needs of those in the area after a disaster when the shelters are full. If you identify a need near you or your area, contact the Disaster Relief Coordinator (Bryan Ford) and the proper actions will be taken to meet those needs as best as possible.
All volunteer positions require a 2 1/2 hour American Red Cross training course.
- Background checks will be needed for positions tied to dormitory care. Go to the American Red Cross Background Check Initiative website to fill out the form. Results will only be sent to the American Red Cross. You can also check out the Volunteer Background Check requirements prior to filling out the form.
- Separate training will be needed for those working with pets, which will be announced at a later date.
- Volunteers must sign an ethics statement.
I Want to Volunteer!
For those who are ready to volunteer please check out the documents below. After you have reviewed the job description, please email the Volunteer Interest Form and Ethics Form to Bryan Ford, the Disaster Relief Coordinator for New City. If you are volunteering for a shelter/dorm position, perform the background check. If you have more questions about New City's role in the ADRN, please email Bryan Ford.
- Volunteer Interest Form (fill out and email to Bryan Ford)
- Volunteer Ethics Form (fill out and email to Bryan Ford)
- Volunteer Background Check (click link and fill out background check)
- Volunteer Job Description (for your review)
If you are unable to scan and email the forms back to Bryan, you may fill them out and deliver them to Bryan Ford during Sunday morning services.